Translation Tools


Average: 4 (2 votes)

MDOC requires you to have an address that you will be released to. Your parole agent will help you make these arrangements before you are released.

What do I need to know?

Permanent Housing


Living with family or friends may be your best option. If you are planning on living with family or friends, make sure you tell your case manager about any criminal history of the people you will be living with.  You may not be able to live with certain people. It is better to tell the case manager up front so you can get approval. Otherwise, you may be violating the conditions of your parole/post-release control.

Subsidized rental housing

Some rental housing is called subsidized because it is funded in some way by the government or by other sources. Because of this, you pay rent based on your income or a fixed rent that is generally less than other units on the market.

There are income and other eligibility requirements that vary by public housing authority. There are also some specific restrictions affecting ex- offenders, but many ex-offenders may still qualify for public housing. You are generally expected to pay 30 percent of your income for rent.

Here are some rules of all public housing authorities:

  • Federal law prohibits admitting households that include a member who has ever been convicted of methamphetamine production on the premises of federally-funded housing.
  • Federal law prohibits admitting households that include a member who is subject to a lifetime registration requirement under a state’s sex offender law.
  • Ultimately, the housing authority may deny admission to any applicant whose habits and practices may reasonably be expected to have a negative effect on other tenants or on the facility.

All others are permitted to apply and can be placed on the waiting list.

Full eligibility is not determined until you reach the top of the waiting list. This means that you may apply before you actually qualify for acceptance. Since you may be on the waiting list for several years, if you think that you may qualify for acceptance by the time your name reaches the top of the list, you should apply.

Those who have been convicted of the following crimes may apply, but will be barred from admission unless it has been at least one year since the completion of their sentence (your sentence includes legal supervision after being released).

Felony drug-related criminal activity that involves the manufacture, sale or distribution, or the possession with the intent to manufacture, sell or distribute, a controlled substance.

Homicide, rape, sexual assault, sexual battery, gross sexual imposition, child pornography, corruption of minor, child endangerment,  child enticement, arson, kidnapping or abduction.

There are other reasons that someone may be denied admission, including current alcohol or drug abuse, fraud in connection with certain housing programs, etc. In addition, any of the Federal bans mentioned on the prior page will result in automatic denial of admission.

 Rental housing

Contact HAWC to ask for the affordable housing list or go to:

The Housing Access for Washtenaw County provides an affordable housing list with locations that have vacancies, which you can contact. The affordable housing list lists landlords who have available room for rent. Both long and short term housing are available and it lists whether that location offers Renters Assistance (Section 8).

Losing your housing

If you lose your housing or are being evicted alert your parole officer immediately. Then call 2-1-1 or search the 2-1-1 database to learn about shelter options.