Translation Tools


Average: 4.3 (3 votes)

What is it?


Staying clean and sober is the most important thing you can do to stay out of prison. If you have a history of drinking or drug use find a support group and get a sponsor. If you need more support talk to your parole agent about getting a referral to a treatment program. If you use, tell your agent or a friend and ask for help. Whether you need of an assessment, sober housing, a support group like Alcoholics Anonymous, or a treatment program, there is hope.


What do I need to know?

To help you understand your options, the following information may be helpful for you or someone you know.

  • Assessments  Agencies that offer treatment provide an assessment as a first step. An assessment involves collecting information from you to help determine if treatment is needed and if so, what type.
  • Detox helps lessen the body’s physical need for alcohol or specific other drugs. This is only needed and available in certain cases. Services are generally offered over a 3- to 7-day period.
  • Inpatient or residential treatment programs require that you stay at the treatment center while you are involved in the program. Stays can last 30 days or longer.
  • Day treatment programs do not require you to live at the treatment center, but they have a schedule that is similar to an inpatient or residential treatment program. You generally have to attend the program every weekday for a full day.
  • Outpatient treatment programs do not require you to live at the treatment center and don’t require as much time as day treatment. Services can range from a few hours per week to 3 hours per day, 3 days a week, for several weeks.
  • Counseling is generally offered on a one-to-one basis, but may also be offered in a group. Counseling services usually have a specific focus and sessions are scheduled at mutually convenient times.
  • Relapse prevention  programs offer structured support (generally 1-2 hours per week) for people who have completed treatment and want additional help to maintain an alcohol- and drug-free lifestyle.
  • Support groups offer peer-to-peer support and information to help in the ongoing recovery process.  Click here to find an AA meeting in your area or call 2-1-1.
  • Halfway Houses are residential facilities that provide room and board, struc- tured alcohol or other drug addiction services, individual counseling and living skills instruction.
  • Sober Housing is housing for people who are alcohol and drug free and want to live in a place with other sober, drug free people. No structured treatment programs, support services, or counseling services are required. It is just a place to live alcohol and drug free. Three-quarter (3/4) way houses are a type of sober housing.