Translation Tools

Mental Wellness for Returning Citizens

No votes yet

People who need help from mental health professionals may feel depressed, angry. frustrated, or not able to cope with parts of their lives. Or, they may simply need to talk to someone about a life problem.

If you are diagnosed with a mental health issue while in prison and you are taking medication, the institution you are leaving will provide you with a one month supply upon release. If you have no or low income you will be eligible for medicaid as of April 1 , 2014. Contact your local DHS office for assistance in applying. Medicaid will provide prescription coverage.

If you have not been diagnosed in prison, and you are reading this after your release, the following may help:

  • If you have a doctor, talk to him or her about a referral to a mental health professional.
  • If you have health insurance, call the company. Some or all of your treatment, including prescriptions, may be paid through your insurance. If you are on Medicaid or Medicare, make sure you understand what is covered. Go to a professional that accepts Medicaid or Medicare. If you do not have Medicaid or Medicare, you may want to apply.
  • If you are having trouble dealing with anger, personal issues, stress, depression, trauma, sexual abuse, or other mental health issues that are getting in the way of work, relationships, or daily activities, you should seek help. Talk to your parole agent and ask for a referral.

There are many places that offer treatment, counselors, and support groups that can help you sort things out. Call 211 24 hours a day for information and referrals to places that offer these services.