Translation Tools

Drug & Alcohol Treatment

No votes yet

What is it?

Staying clean and sober is the most important thing you can do to stay out of prison. If you have a history of drinking or drug use find a support group and get a sponsor. If you need more support talk to your parole agent about getting a referral to a treatment program. If you use, tell your agent or a friend and ask for help. Whether you need of an assessment, sober housing, a support group like Alcoholics Anonymous, or a treatment program, there is hope.

What do I need to know?

To help you understand your options, the following information may be helpful for you or someone you know.

Assessments  Agencies that offer treatment provide an assessment as a first step. An assessment involves collecting information from you to help determine if treatment is needed and if so, what type.

Detox helps lessen the body’s physical need for alcohol or specific other drugs. This is only needed and available in certain cases. Services are generally offered over a 3- to 7-day period.

Inpatient or residential treatment programs require that you stay at the treatment center while you are involved in the program. Stays can last 30 days or longer.

Day treatment programs do not require you to live at the treatment center, but they have a schedule that is similar to an inpatient or residential treatment program. You generally have to attend the program every weekday for a full day.

Outpatient treatment programs do not require you to live at the treatment center and don’t require as much time as day treatment. Services can range from a few hours per week to 3 hours per day, 3 days a week, for several weeks.

Counseling is generally offered on a one-to-one basis, but may also be offered in a group. Counseling services usually have a specific focus and sessions are scheduled at mutually convenient times.

Relapse prevention  programs offer structured support (generally 1-2 hours per week) for people who have completed treatment and want additional help to maintain an alcohol- and drug-free lifestyle.

Support groups offer peer-to-peer support and information to help in the ongoing recovery process. Below is a list of the most common support groups found in the Ann Arbor / Ypsi area.

Halfway Houses are residential facilities that provide room and board, struc- tured alcohol or other drug addiction services, individual counseling and living skills instruction.

Sober Housing is housing for people who are alcohol and drug free and want to live in a place with other sober, drug free people. No structured treatment programs, support services, or counseling services are required. It is just a place to live alcohol and drug free. Three-quarter (3/4) way houses are a type of sober housing.